So your weekend proved to be a bit more exciting than restful, and your eyes are a dead giveaway on Monday morning. Instead of trying to avoid social contact, pop in some eye drops and try this makeup trick to brighten your face…but be sure to grab a cup of coffee, because this how-to won’t lift your mood, only your bags.
To start creating this look, apply an even layer of foundation to have a fresh face as your canvas:
1. MAC Paint Pot (Shown in Painterly) $18.50
2. MAKE UP FOR EVER Full Coverage Concealer (Shown in Light Beige) $32
3. NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eye Liner (Shown in Rue Bonaparte) $24
4. Givenchy Mister Bright Touch of Light Pen (Shown in Dawnlight) $34
5. Revlon Eyelash Curler $5.29 + Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara (Shown in Glam Black) $6.59
1. bareMinerals Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush $20 NOTE: Only use if applying powder/mineral foundation or concealer. For shown concealer, use your finger tip
2. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brush $26
3. SEPHORA Collection Classic Crease Shadow Brush #73 $16
∞ Apply concealer under your eyes by dabbing it repeatedly until blended. Dab quickly and lightly—smearing with your finger tugs on the gentle skin around your eyes and doesn’t blend as well.
∞ Using the crease brush, buff the primer into your lid from lash line to brow bone. This will even out the skin tone on your lid and mask any visible veins.
∞ Using the light liner trace along the inner 1/3 of each eye, subtly blending to the middle of each.
∞ Though the highlighter has a brush built in, opt for a finer brush for more precise application. Twist the bottom of the pen to push more opalescent product to the top and using your precision brush to apply over the area where you drew the liner and continue about 1/4 inch more towards the bridge of your nose. The reflective nature of the highlighter will bounce light, illuminating the skin around your eyes masking your tiredness while brightening. NOTE: I’m using a brush by Tarte that I’ve had for years and is no longer available for purchase. The Laura Mercier one shown above is similar.
∞ Using your finger dab a bit more highlighter onto your brow bone
∞ Curl your lashes in three places to “open” your eyes: 1. The base, along your lashline, 2. The middle of the lash, 3. The tips of the lashes
∞ Finally, coat your lashes with a lengthening mascara. I prefer plump lashes, so I opt for a volumizing + lengthening formula, but apply your preferred mascara. Apply one coat for simple definition, and pencil in your brows if needed (like mine). Voila!
NOTE: Why didn’t I do this trick using white eyeliner? Because it’s often over-applied and can make your eyes look farther apart instead of more awake. But if you want to try using white liner instead, by all means give it a shot. Just leave Cara’s look for the runways:
Model photos via, via, via